Friday, March 18, 2011

Learn from a Kid - Turn it off

It's so simple really. Probably the easiest thing to do when it comes to saving energy. Turn off your lights. Turn off electronic devices when you're not using them. Turn off your power strip to prevent phantom power.

Funny thing is, I never really think to do it. I know. I'm the producer of What You Can Do, and I never climb under my desk to turn off my power strip at the end of the day. I only turn it off when I'm going away. I realize this is ridiculous.

In the office, we have four desk setups. Jess only plugs in her computer, and she unplugs it most of the time it's not in use. Julie, Melissa and I all have power strips because we work with drives for backup. I'm not sure about them, but I have a lot of room for improvement.

The sad thing? We produced our video on Phantom Power last winter. We learned that the Department of Energy estimates that 75% of the energy used to power home electronics is consumed while the products are turned off. So what's wrong with me?

The other confession - I leave my kitchen light on too much. I'm great at turning off the bathroom light. My bedroom? Got that covered. For some reason, it's only the kitchen that catches me up. Gonna change that too. Maybe I have to think like the kids we interviewed on Earth Day. Almost everyone listed, 'turning off the lights,' as the way to save energy. And I wonder, if we learn this so young, and know it to be a fact, why do we trip up so often?

Dunno - but I'm gonna rectify that.
How 'bout you?
Alicia

No comments: