Monday, April 11, 2011

Diary of An American Shopper Goes Green


So last year, I wrote the blogs Diary of an American Shopper. In November 2009, Julie challenged the On the Leeshers to take on an idea that we wanted to commit to for thirty days. I decided that I wanted to buy American. And I was committed. I was so impassioned that I continued this goal for many months. I did slip up, but to this day, I try to buy things that are made here. It's something I believe in.

Well, as this 46 day challenge has progressed, I knew that taking on the idea of shopping would come up. One video that we produced was with Green Pages. The National Green Pages™ is a directory listing nearly 3,000 businesses that have made firm commitments to sustainable, socially just principles, including the support of sweatshop-free labor, organic farms, fair trade, and cruelty-free products.

Through Green America's green pages program, I can order a catalogue or search on line for companies that have sustainable practices. Say I want to buy eco-friendly party goods...I just search for them online. Or maybe I want to find eco-friendly craft supplies (not that far fetched), no problem. I thought this was great, and will add it to my bookmark bar on my computer so I remember to use it for searches.

Will you check it out?
Let me know
Alicia

No comments: