Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Say 'Thank You' to Our Troops

Today, I'm a little embarrassed. When we first produced our video to "Adopt a Soldier" through Soldier's Angels, I wanted to sign up right away and sponsor one of our service members overseas. But I didn't. Months went by, and I didn't sign up. Why, you may ask? I wish the reason was better. Ultimately it was fear. In order to adopt a soldier, you have to agree to write one letter a week and send one care package a month. I was worried that I wouldn't have the time. And frankly, I think that's crazy.

I can take one minute of my week to write this letter. I can take thirty minutes out of my month to send this package. The service member that I will be teamed up with is taking several years out of his/her life to protect ME, and I'm worried about writing a letter? I felt pathetic. I was filled with guilt and yet... I still didn't sign up.

However, now that I'm in this 46 day challenge, I am signing up. I am through with excuses. This month is all about living by the What You Can Do motto: if you have even one minute, you can change the world. I will make the time because the fact of the matter is, I have a minute. While watching TV or eating lunch, I can write a letter of gratitude to a service member.

Enough is enough. I'm going to step out of my own way and say thank you.
How about you?
~Alicia

No comments: