Sunday, May 23, 2010

Finding the Rainforest

Here’s what I think of when I think about the rainforest. Rain. Plants. Wet plants. Trees. Wet trees. Monkey. Birds. Loads of bugs. Sometimes I think about snakes as well – but I try to avoid that at all costs. Here are the things I don’t think about: coffee, chocolate (something I try to think about as often as possible), rubber, my kitchen cabinets and my parent’s fern plant. And yet... They are all related. Nobody needed to convince me that the rainforests are important. The fact that scientist believe it likely that there are some, as yet, undiscovered species living there was more than enough of a reason for me to think that maybe we shouldn’t destroy it. However, I hadn’t before realized that even if you don’t LIVE in a rainforest, you are basically living OFF of the rainforest. Then I thought... Geez... I need to recycle more than I do.

And that is to say the very least.

Thanks for watching this week’s focus on deforestation.

No comments: