Friday, January 22, 2010

Diary of an American Shopper day 74

Diary of an American Shopper day 74

Where have I been? To tell you the truth, one of my other resolutions was to waste less this year. So, I came back to the city after the holidays and I realized I had too much stuff! I went to put my new stuff (much of it made domestically) into my closet and the previous years stuff fell out. Hmmmm...I had a problem.

So I started to clean and organize. Two of my all time favorite things. Yes - I'm type A. Moving on...In the organizing, I realized I already had 3 things of shaving creme, 5 things of deodorant and 2 thinks of conditioner. And it didn't stop at toiletries. I have a lot of stuff. Needless to say, I haven't had to buy anything besides food for a while now. And my food is grown in these fine United States! I was very proud to pick up squash over Christmas that had a sticker on it saying it's place of birth was New York. Awesome. I digress...

So as I'm digging myself out of the mountains of things that fell out of my closet, I realized - I need to organize better. And organization means shelves. And then I started to sweat. Shelves are Made in China and Sweeden. This wasn't going to be easy. Or was it. I went to the containerstore.com and they're currently having a sale on their elfa shelves. 30% off. Not bad my friends. Probably not for me though....

What's this? These shelves also whispered some very familiar words in some very tiny print- Made in the U.S.A! WHAT? If I were them I would print that in HUGE FONT. It would help people like me. But how can this be? How can it be that the first place I looked, I strike pay dirt? Clearly the waste gods were looking kindly on me and granting me this concession so I will be able to see what I have and therefore stop buying stuff!

The question? What happens when I clear out all my stuff and need to buy something new? WIll my two resolutions live in harmony throughout the year? We'll have to wait and see. But being type A, patience is something I need to work on,

I mark day 74 a HUGE SUCCESS, but harbor trepidation for the future

No comments: